Follow by Email

Monday, March 26, 2012


German word of the Week: [Kirche Jesu Christi der Heligien der Letzen Tage] I know this is more of a phrase, but I thought that you guys would be interested in knowing what my nametage [Namenshield] says under my name in German.
     Week 2 of the MTC. It's been a great week filled with some awesome moments. First off, I wanted to let everyone know that I won't be able to participate in the General Conference choir. I put in a tryout slip, but since I didn't do singing in high school or anything I didn't make it in. As far as our first investigator we are teaching, we finished with him. On Tuesday, my companion and I were trying to figure out exactly what we thought we needed him to learn for his last lesson. We had some differing ideas, so we decided to pray again as a companionship to figure out exactly what we thought he needed. It was amazing because once we finished the prayer, we literally had the same thoughts come out of our mouths at the exact same time. It was pretty awesome, and by the end of that lesson we committed him to baptism and gave him a book of mormon to read until he could "call us back".
    The next day, we found out that he is really one of our teachers! His name is Brother Duvall, and he's going to be co-teaching with one of the other German teachers. He's pretty awesome, but it's still weird to think of him as not-Stephan. That night, we had Dallin H. Oaks as the special-guest speaker for the fireside. He gave a good talk about how important the sacrament is for missionaries and for members. I also found out that Sterling Farmer, one of my good friends from elementary school, was only just down the hall. We were talking to some missionaries that were going to the Netherlands and then one of them was just like, "Hey, what is your first name?" I took one look at him and was like, "Wait, Sterling?!" It was pretty awesome, and he just took off this morning for his mission so I wish him luck.
     Something funny that also happened this week came from one of the other districts. A set of missionaries were trying to talk about how Jesus had died for them, but accidentally translated it into 'killed'. Their investigator was like "wie viel? or how many?, and the other companion thought he meant who, and was said "all of the Jews in Jerusalem!" It was pretty said and they had to clarify that Jesus didn't kill any Jews later on in the lesson when one of them realized the slip up. 
     I can feel the spirit on this campus. (oh, and by the way, it has BYU written all over it from the electric boxes to the cleaning supplies and even the food, so it's offical that it is technically part of BYU Jacob ;) I know that this church is true and the power and happiness that can come from reading from the Book of Mormon. Best wishes to everyone and I'll keep you updated next week.
-Elder Eric Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment