Follow by Email

Monday, September 23, 2013

What doesn't kill you... - Weekly Letter

Dear Family and Friends,
This week was really hard for us. We had our main investigators drop us due to things that they had read on-line about the church, and they have now blocked us from calling them. They were both progressing really well, so it is heart-breaking that they were like the seeds mentioned in Matthew that were strangled in their growth by the thorns. We have asked the members to try to get contact and to see exactly what happened, but it seems pretty clear to us that they are no longer wanting to join the church.
We have a man that is really excited to be baptized, but he is not able to come to church, so we are not going to let him get baptized until we know that he will get the Holy Ghost and be an active member.
We also had a member drop us, which I have never experienced. He had called off his appointment 2 weeks ago, so we went by this week, and when he saw us at the door, he told us that he does not want to meet with us anymore. I felt like he was an investigator, and I guess that our commitment of him teaching a section of the 2nd lesson to us was too difficult for him, and so he doesn't want us to come anymore.
We have also really been struggling with finding the last few weeks, so there have not been any new investigators coming in to our pool, so we have been doing a lot of walking on the streets of Hamburg and talking. It was not going very well until Saturday, in which we were able to find 2 people and get out a Book of Mormon. Sunday was the same, in which he had 3 great conversations in about 2 hours and got out 2 Book of Mormons. Sometimes I wonder what God is trying to teach me, but then if I think about it hard enough, I am usually able to realize thatsomething about my testimony almost always has grown through that particular trial. Plus, I always seem to find the perfect scripture that is a direct answer to my question of why he makes us go through these trials- it is actually a really good thing, because it makes me stronger. All I can say is that my testimony is stronger today than it was 3 weeks ago, and that I am living my mission in Crescendo.
This week, I studied a lot in the Book of Mormon with the Atonement, and it is so amazing to realize that the Book of Mormon contains such a thorough explanation of Jesus Christ and His role as our Savior. I especially love 1 Nephi 19:9-15 (Here's the link:)http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/19?lang=eng
Have a great week and make sure to keep the missionaries in your hearts and in your prayers!

-- 
- Elder Eric Gibson
  Kirche Jesu Christi der Heiligen der Letzen Tage 

No comments:

Post a Comment